Andrew Fillipponi Memorial Scholarship Guidelines
The B3 Foundation’s Geno Fillipponi Memorial Scholarship was created in honor of Andrew and Amanda Fillipponi’s miracle baby, Geno. Geno was diagnosed with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, a defect that affects blood flow through the heart as a baby grows during pregnancy, causing the left side of the organ to not form correctly. In December 2020, the Fillipponis said goodbye to their son. The loss of a child is an unimaginable tragedy, but Geno’s story will not end there.
It is our mission to ensure that Geno’s brief but beautiful life will inspire and transform the lives of countless other children for years to come. Geno’s father, Andrew, is a sports radio host based out of Pittsburgh; and Geno’s mother, Amanda, majored in marketing and now works in sales. The Fillipponis want their son’s legacy to support the educational aspirations of students seeking to pursue a career in the same fields. The scholarship is available to applicants planning to study Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or Communications in college who attend high school in the Greater Pittsburgh Area (qualifying counties listed below).
For 2022, the Geno Fillipponi Memorial Scholarship award amount is $5,000. The chosen recipient will receive $5,000 for each of their four years at their chosen institution, so long as they remain in good academic and community standing. NOTE: Scholarship funds will be awarded to the student upon evidence of registration in an accredited higher educational institution.
Criteria and eligibility:
- Applicants must attend high school in one of the following counties in the state of Pennsylvania: Allegheny County, Armstrong County, Beaver County, Butler County, Fayette County, Washington County, Westmoreland County.
- Applicants must be a graduating high school senior in the year of the award.
- Applicants must have at least a 3.0 grade point average.
- Applicants must be planning to declare a major in one of the following areas of study: Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications.
- Applicants may not be related to any Board of Directors or staff for this presents a conflict of interest.
- Applicants must be willing to attend a scholarship orientation with the B3 Foundation Board of Directors (via Zoom).
- DEADLINE for scholarship applications is May 30, 2022, 11:59 p.m. ET (no exceptions).
- Refer to the application process below for a list of the supporting documents needed (i.e. reference forms, evidence of GPA, etc.) Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If any question does not apply to you in this application please put N/A in the space.
- Type and print legibly. Illegible applications will not be considered. You may also download a copy of the application by clicking here.
- You will be notified by mail in May regarding the status of your application.
- If you have any questions about the application, please email the Foundation Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicant must submit the following items:
- Completed application form (if handwritten, please print legibly)
- Cover letter of application addressed to the Scholarship Committee. The letter should contain a brief explanation about yourself and your college plans (college/university, intended major) as well as a brief explanation of how a college scholarship would impact you and your family. Letter should not exceed one (1) page.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. One from a high school teacher, administrator, counselor, or staff member. And one from a personal or professional contact of the individual with significant knowledge of the applicant’s character, work ethic and other strengths.
- An official and recent high school transcript with cumulative grade point average.
- Personal Essay (see prompt below). Essay must be at least 1-2 typed pages, double-spaced, 12 pt /Times New Roman font.
The B3 Foundation does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of any applicable protected classification including, but not limited to, race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities and operations include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, selection of scholarship recipients, and the provision of related services. The B3 Foundation is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of its staff, volunteers, vendors, applicants, and scholarship recipients.
Deadline for the application is May 30, 2022, 11:59 p.m. ET. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
If necessary, mail application to:
ATTN: Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 3577
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Please login or signup to continue!